Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The First Week Or So

The guys of summer project on our day off












The Girls of summer project on our day off



















Its hard to believe that it has already been a week and a half here in Italy.  Today, we get a little free time because of the Italian independence holiday.  We have been on campus now for about a week.  We as a summer project have gotten to share the gospel many times with students.  We had a lot of students go to our barbecue on this past Thursday also.  I did not have the best time on campus this week.  I was pretty sick on last Tuesday and slept for like 4 hours and fought that off.  Also we missed part of Wednesday because we had to turn this document into the post office requesting to live in Salerno.  Those things coupled with the language barrier equalled a frustrating time on campus.  The language barrier is pushing me to study more Italian even before we start formal language learning with our class or tutor. For now LiveMocha will have to do.  Its awesome, free, and like Rosetta Stone.  

Since the first six weeks our primary goal is the summer project, we have to try to find English learners as they do.  The great thing about the summer project is we are really learning how to be servant leaders and getting to help them in sharing their faith, some for the first time.  I have to remember I am here for the long haul and to have patience with building relationships with Italians.  I did get to spend time with Pepe who has known the STINTers (11-month interns) since September.  I am excited to get to be his friend in the future. I did get to have some good time on Friday playing basketball with Davide who I met at the barbecue and has known the STINTers for 2 months..  That was definitely the highlight of last week.  I hope to continue to hang out with him, as he spoils us because he speaks great English.  

I hope to update you every week during this season.  Its tough because we have a full schedule. 


2 comments:

Barbara Larke said...

Hi Rodney and Amanda,
Hope you are feeling better Rodney and hope you and Baby Walton are doing well Amanda. I love you both for your courage and strength to pursue your calling in the midst of much trial and tribulations you have gone through. You are both continually in my prayers and I feel blessed to support your ministry as well as call you Son and Daughter in Law. I look forward to meeting my new Grandbaby! May the Lord keep you in His perfect peace during this time. He has brought you this far He is not going to let you go now. May you be blessed as you are blessing others.

Love, Mom Larke <><

PCBO said...

Thanks for the postcard, dear ones. We prayed for you in church this AM. I am seeking to remember you before the Father daily through the summer project. We miss you at OGC but are glad to share you for the glory of God and the joy of Italian students.
Blessings,
PCBO